The most complete PF Studio possible? (English, please)

All about plugins : Suggestions, bugs, etc... /
Tuto por etendadoj : sugestoj, malbonadĵoj, etc...

Modérateur : Modérateurs

Nottena
Nouveau(elle)|Nouveau|Nouvelle

The most complete PF Studio possible? (English, please)

Message par Nottena »

Dear Friends,
I've just installed both PF 6.2.7 and PFS 8.02 trial.
They look good and they are promising. My main problem at the moment is that almost everything on this forum is written in French and I don't understand:-(
I am interested in making PFS the most complete photo-retouching package possible.
I read that on the main site there should be many additional masks, but I haven't found any. I see there are 35 plugins available but I don't know if they are for the free version or for the Studio version (or both?)...
All the links some of you posted point to websites in French and this is not helpful to me.
So, getting started, I would like ALL the plugins for PF Studio. At the moment in its folder there are only 2. 8bf.pfl and Raw.pfl
Is it recommandable that I get all the other 35? I've found a program pf-plug.exe that help downloading them all but the name of the plugins available is in French as well. No English? and if I am not wrong there are 4 redundant plugins, that is 2 plugins for White Balance and 2 for Red Eye Removal. What should I choose?
So, please an experienced user of the software and a fine English speaker as well: could he please explain me what should I do to make Studio as much complete and powerful as possible?
1) more masks, selections, patterns, brushes, etc.
2) all the plugins (without redundand ones) in an only one (english) download
3) is there the chance of using third party plugins, like PSP or Photoshop plugins? how and where to find them? english as well?:-)
I don't have time to ask more questions at the moment. I'll do it later.
In the meantime I hope some of the experts on here will be so gentle as to address all my questions and doubts!
many thanks,

Nottena
Tom
Administrateur(trice)|Administrateur|Administratrice

Message par Tom »

Hi Nottena,

I'm not sure to be the best talker to answer such and such demands. :wink:

1) more masks, selections, patterns, brushes, etc.
=> As you could well see on the main web site, some selections, masks and patterns are available :
http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm
=> to download brushes in the french section, no need to understand french, you can choose the pictures you wish.

2) all the plugins (without redundand ones) in an only one (english) download
=> All the plugins in pfl format, on the main web site are compatible with the both versions,
and the same Plugins folder can be used by the both versions.
=> You can chose any single plugin you wish and download it to try.
=> You can download the whole list, or a part of them, in a single operation, and try them later, when you have some time to experiment their functions.
In few words : you do like you feel.

3) is there the chance of using third party plugins, like PSP or Photoshop plugins? how and where to find them? english as well?
=> Yes, PFS can use, in very secure manner, most of 8BF plugins, but not all of them.
=> You can find some 8BF plugins in the International section of this forum, and if you read the notices and post-it on head of each international forum, you can find some translating tools.
=> Your favorite research motor is your best friend to find other 8BF filters on the web.

But in a few time you will understand you don't need a whole collections of 8BF filters, and that only ten or twenty of them correspond to your practice.
And the best of them are reported in the international section. (yes i had it ever said)

At least, the Research button, on the top of each page can be usefull to learn, with single or combined key words, more informations, you could need.
But i think you would spend some time to read a little bit that is available in this section. :)
Bien plus facile avec PhotoFiltre. Cordialement.
. . Image . . Image
Heis Spiter
Version de PhotoFiltre : 6.2.7/9.0.0
Système d'exploitation : Windows XP Pro SP2
Processeur : Intel Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz HT
Mémoire RAM : 1536 Mo DDR

Re: The most complete PF Studio possible? (English, please)

Message par Heis Spiter »

Nottena a écrit :2) all the plugins (without redundand ones) in an only one (english) download
To have all the plugins in only one download, just have a look there ;). Or if you'd rather : http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... 3&lp=fr_en
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage
Pas de support par MP, mail, MSN, etc.

Beaucoup moins présent...
Nottena

pf-plug.exe 1.3 doesn't work

Message par Nottena »

Hello Heis,
I already know there was a tool for downloading all the plugins.
I downloaded it 8 days ago and it was version 1.2
Differently from the screenshots shown on this site it didn't tell me how many plugins it found and all the names of the plugins are in French and there are the duplicates ones. How can I know which of the 2 is the best for the balance of the whites and for red eyes removal?
then, just now, I went to the links you suggested again and I read version 1.3 updated. I downloaded version 1.3 from all the possible sources but it doesn't work at all for me. It all the time says: connection to the server failed. Try again?
and if I say Yes the same error message appears for ever.
Version 1.2 didn't have this connection error bug.
Any ideas?
thanks!
and please answer to all my questions (why the number of found plugins is not shown/redundant, duplicate plugins how to choose, etc.) if you possibly can :)

Nottena
Heis Spiter

The 1.2 version had many problems. That's why the 1.3 has been done. The problem with number of plugins has been fixed. It's the author of a plugin which set his name, and he always do it in his native language. However there are some english plugins. About "duplicated" plugins, I can't do nothing. It's up to you to test them and choose which plugin is the best (and then to only check it in the list).
About connection that's a bit strange :). And we'll try to fix it. So, first, try to run pf-plug.exe with -noping. If it still don't work, run it with thoses parameters : -debug -tofile -noping. And then, send me the two output files.
Are you behing a proxy ?
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage

Nottena

Message par Nottena »

Heis,
no I don't use a proxy.
And I am not very good at starting programs with parameters.
Should I choose Run and then type the full path to pf-plug.exe -noping?
If you confirmi I will try but I don't think it will fix the connection failed problem...

Nottena
Heis Spiter

Nottena a écrit :Should I choose Run and then type the full path to pf-plug.exe -noping?
Right ;).
And it still doesn't work, use those parameters -debug -tofile -noping, and send me all the stuff created (ppp.log and ppp-plugins.txt).
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage

Nottena

noping seems to work; more questions...

Message par Nottena »

Heis,
I launched pf-plug with the noping parameter and it didn't give the connection failed error. It says that it found 35 plugins and then clicking Next it offers the chance to choose the ones desired. But I didn't go on with the selection and the download. Almost all the names of the plugins are in French and also their tooltip explanation is in French. Not very useful to me :(
I have these further questions, for you and for anyone who might know the answer.
One thing I know for sure. I am not interested in TWAIN plugin since I don't have a scanner. So there are 34 plugins left.
1) what happens if I choose to download those 34 plugins? does it download the zip files and then I have manually to extract them and put them in the Plugins folders?
2) since I am also evaluating PF Studio, do I have to download the import/export JPEG2000 plugin as well? on the homepage it says that it is included in the complete version of PF.
3) on the web page of the plugins, their name is in English: why via pf-plug all their names (or almost all) are in French?
4) once downloaded, can I rename the plugins in English (or in my native language)? will they still work?
5) since I am not a professional in photo-retouching how can I choose between the 2 red eyes removals and the 2 whites balances? yes, you'll say, try them... but I am not that expert... which do most of you use?
Which would you all recommend to grab?

I am certainly forgetting something... mumble....
anyhow, in the meanwhile I hope to get all my questions answered.
:) Merci,

Nottena
silverojo

Re: noping seems to work; more questions...

Message par silverojo »

Nottena a écrit : 1) what happens if I choose to download those 34 plugins? does it download the zip files and then I have manually to extract them and put them in the Plugins folders?
Yes.

[Tom] NO the pf-plug.exe extracts the zip files automaticaly in the right folders [/Tom]
Nottena a écrit :2) since I am also evaluating PF Studio, do I have to download the import/export JPEG2000 plugin as well? on the homepage it says that it is included in the complete version of PF.
I'm not evaluating that program, so I can't help you there...sorry.
Nottena a écrit :3) on the web page of the plugins, their name is in English: why via pf-plug all their names (or almost all) are in French?
Because it's a French program? :)
Nottena a écrit :4) once downloaded, can I rename the plugins in English (or in my native language)? will they still work?
Yes, same for the masks, selections, etc. I've been renaming the ones I want to keep, and deleting the ones I don't need.

A word of advice: Once you get things set up the way you want, be sure to back up your folders of Masks, Patterns, Plugins, and Selections. That way, if you have to reinstall your program for whatever reason, you can just copy those folders to the PhotoFiltre folder, and you're ready to go!
Nottena a écrit :5) since I am not a professional in photo-retouching how can I choose between the 2 red eyes removals and the 2 whites balances? yes, you'll say, try them... but I am not that expert... which do most of you use?
I haven't tried either of them yet, but you really would just have to download them, try them yourself, and see which you like best. If you like one more than the other, all you need to do is open the Plugins folder again, and delete the one you don't want to use anymore. So uninstalling a plugin won't be difficult, rest assured. ;)

I'm just discovering this program, myself, but one nice thing about it is that it makes installing and uninstalling the extras very easy. BTW, I don't know French at all, so I'm just deciphering familiar-looking words as I go along. If that fails you, just plug an unfamiliar word or phrase into this translator:

http://babelfish.altavista.com (be sure to select "French to English" on the dropdown menu).

I hope this helps you!
Heis Spiter

Re: noping seems to work; more questions...

Nottena a écrit :1) what happens if I choose to download those 34 plugins? does it download the zip files and then I have manually to extract them and put them in the Plugins folders?
It's PPP job. It will download and install automaticaly every plugin you've choosen.
Nottena a écrit :2) since I am also evaluating PF Studio, do I have to download the import/export JPEG2000 plugin as well? on the homepage it says that it is included in the complete version of PF.
Never paid attention to that :oops:. Antonio will be able to tell us if the JPEG2000 is already installed with complete pack.
Nottena a écrit :3) on the web page of the plugins, their name is in English: why via pf-plug all their names (or almost all) are in French?
I've just seen what you're speaking about :). I'll implent it in the next PPP version :).

For other question, have a look to silverojo answers ;).
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage

Heis Spiter

Nottena : you should try the new version, with better languages support.
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage

Nottena

Message par Nottena »

Heis Spiter a écrit :Nottena : you should try the new version, with better languages support.
Heis, new version of what?
thanks

Nottena
Heis Spiter

Of the PhotoFiltre Plugins Pack. The program which install all plugins ;).
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... 3&lp=fr_en
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage

Nottena

Still -noping?

Message par Nottena »

Dear Heis,
I noticed that you updated pf-plug.exe to version 1.3.2 but you didn't fix the connection error bug... Perhaps I have still to use -noping to overcome it but it's not ideal.
Thanks,

Nottena
Heis Spiter

This version has been released to fix major problems under Vista, and not to improve previous features.
But, in the next release (I don't when it will be released : I've not yet worked on it, even if I've many ideas...), I'll change that, you're not the only one to have this problem.
Heis Spiter

ImageImageImageImage

Répondre