Suggestions and Feedback

You think you have found a bug ? You've got a suggestion to modify PhotoFiltre ? /
Ĉu vi opinias vi trovis malbonadĵon ? Ĉu vi havas sugeston por modifi PhotoFiltre ?

Modérateur : Modérateurs

jrandall

Suggestions and Feedback

Message par jrandall »

Hello.

PhotoFiltre has a very impressive breadth and depth of features -- you obviously have spent a great deal of time thinking through the features and GUI as well as the coding.

If I may, I'd like to offer the following feedback for your consideration.

The fundamental and first image editing tools that most people use on their images are brightness, contrast, saturation, gamma, levels, color balance, and sharpening. Although the filtre bar buttons are useful, I personally like the extra and finer control-by-channel given by the Adjust|feature slider tools. However, these controls are all in separate windows that must be opened, applied, and closed. This process is slow and painful and does not easily allow for easy iterative back-and-forth editing.

Here is what I propose for your consideration: group these adjustment filtres in one window just like your Automate/Batch|Adjust window. This would allow the user to see the sum total results of various tweaks and make necessary iterative changes before finally applying the filtres to the original image. Note: To keep the window a reasonable size, you might need to tighten the vertical spacing and make the channels drop downs narrower.

In addition, to increase the power of this 1-stop window, I suggest adding the following features to the window:

1) Levels (getting the optimum white and black points is a critical first step)
2) A slider operated sharpening feature. [or at least something like a 5-step choice -- low, med-low, med, med-high, high]
3) Color Balance [maybe reformatted into one slider and channel selector to save vertical space?]
4) A reset-to-default button for each slider [a real time saver if things do not work out well]
5) A toggle feature to rapidly blink back to the original image and then to the current tweaked image [critical need]
6) Finer gamma steps [0.1 is too coarse for me -- I often use gamma-by-channel to remove color casts]

If you get want to really want to make PhotoFiltre useful to more serious photographers/image editors, then you might want to consider combining the levels feature with a histogram and adding a curves feature or better yet, combining the histogram and curves features like in Picture Window ( http://www.dl-c.com )

Please feel free to contact me -- I'd enjoy helping in any way I can.

Thank you.

Jeff Randall
Preston, Washington
USA
jrandall

Additional Suggestions

Message par jrandall »

If I may, I'd like to revise and expand my feedback above for your consideration.

General Comment:

The fundamental editing tools that most people use on their images are levels, gamma, color balance, brightness, contrast, saturation, and sharpening. Although the filtre bar buttons are useful, I personally like the extra and finer control-by-channel given by the Adjust|feature slider tools. However, these controls are all in separate windows that must be opened, applied, and closed. This process is slow and painful and does not allow for easy iterative back-and-forth editing or seeing the final integrated edit before clicking OK.

Feature Suggestions:

1) Group brightness, contrast, saturation, gamma, levels, color balance, in one window and keep all sliders active to allow the user to see the sum total results of various tweaks and make necessary iterative changes before finally applying the filtres to the original image. This grouping would be similar to the current Automate/Batch|Adjust window.
2) A reset-to-default button for each slider. [a real time saver if things do not work out]
3) A toggle feature to rapidly blink back to the original image and then to the current tweaked image. [a critical need to complement the key-board short-cuts and do/undo filtre bar buttons]
4) Finer gamma steps. [0.1 is too coarse]
5) A slider operated USM sharpening feature. [maybe added to the 1-stop editing window described above]
6) A histogram feature that operates on the RGB, R, G, or B channels to allow graphic setting of b/w points and midtones.
7) A curves feature that operates on the RGB, R, G, or B channels and possibly on the channels of the HSL or HSV color models. The addition of histogram and curves features will make PhotoFiltre much more useful to serious photographers/image editors.

8) Add "Open Image in Separate Window" to Tools|Preferences.
9) Set Image Explorer to automatically open the Opening folder or Current folder.
10) Add "Load and Save" feature to Automate/Batch|Adjust.
11) Show a circle of the selected radius or width as the pointer for all tools with a variable radius or width including the smudge tool.
12) Show the selected area of the cloneing tool with a circle of the selected radius well as the pointer for both fixed and relative cloning.
13) Decrease the step size of the brightness, contrast, saturation, and gamma of the filtre bar buttons.
14) Remove the hysterisis of the filtre bar buttons. By hysterisis I mean two clicks positive followed by two clicks negative should get you back to where you started.
15) Make the Open window scalable so that the files list can be more easily view as thumbnails.
Répondre