Long time to open folder

You think you have found a bug ? You've got a suggestion to modify PhotoFiltre ? /
Ĉu vi opinias vi trovis malbonadĵon ? Ĉu vi havas sugeston por modifi PhotoFiltre ?

Modérateur : Modérateurs

The Q

Long time to open folder

Message par The Q »

Hi from Australia,

I just found your program via http://freewarearena.org and must say it looks very good (English version 5.6.2).

I have one major bug though: when I choose the Open button it takes a long time to open a folder, and the processor usage goes to 100% for about 1 minute. The folder contains 415MB of data but only six small images (JPGs). The program seems to be scanning all 415MB to find image files maybe?

Other than that bug, which most people would assume has frozen the program, it looks like a great freeware graphics program!

Thankyou very much regardless.

The Q
FrançoisL
Membre d'honneur
Membre d'honneur
Version de PhotoFiltre : Dernières de PF Free et PFS
Système d'exploitation : Windows XP Home SP2
Processeur : Athlon 64 3500+ non O/C
Mémoire RAM : 2x512 Mo en DC

Message par FrançoisL »

Hello,
Have you defragmented your hard disk for less than 1 month ? If it's not the case, you should do it. Or maybe try to disable your Antivirus ?
Does your bug also appear in softwares like Microsoft Word ?
Invité

Message par Invité »

Thanks for your reply.

I keep my system defragmented, and all programs work very fast to open a folder. Only Photofiltre is going to 100% processor and taking a really long time.

I'm running RAID 0 using SATA drives as well so file access is very fast!

System is 100% clean of viruses and spyware etc (I am a computer technician).

When I click the Open button it disappears from the screen, until the folder finally opens. Also there is no real disk activity, so it's not scanning recursive folders or anything like that (at least as far as I can tell).

I have the following files in the folder that takes forever to open:

PDF, EXE, CFG, HTM, ISO, BMP, JPG, TXT, RAR, ZIP (it's my temp folder where I store everything until it can be moved to other folders)

If I choose a different folder (say one with only graphics files) it works straight away.

I'll play around a bit more to see if I can narrow it down maybe. Perhaps you can determine a bug from the above?
The Q

Message par The Q »

Sorry, I forgot to add my name on the post above, but it's from me.

I also found that if I choose Image Explorer and browse to my temp folder it does it straight away. Maybe that will help.

I'll keep trying to work out if there's one file causing it, since it only does it on the one folder; all other folders come up straight away!
The Q

Message par The Q »

Ok, I narrowed it down to a single ZIP file that was causing it to freeze up when scanning the temp folder!

The ZIP file was not corrupted, and did not have any virus or trojan or spyware in it.

Very weird. I used Photofiltre to open the folder after unzipping it and it had no problem either, so it wasn't the contents of the ZIP file.

All I can think of is that somehow the ZIP file had a weird header info or something that was causing it to freeze. Do you use any component of Internet Explorer to scan the folders? Is it possible that the ZIP file was designed with a buffer overflow header or something? would that cause a freeze?

Anyway, thanks again for your comments and work on the program, perhaps I've given you enough info to find the cause at some point in the future.

Best regards!
Répondre