JPEG color management

You think you have found a bug ? You've got a suggestion to modify PhotoFiltre ? /
Ĉu vi opinias vi trovis malbonadĵon ? Ĉu vi havas sugeston por modifi PhotoFiltre ?

Modérateur : Modérateurs

LXNDR
Nouveau(elle)|Nouveau|Nouvelle
Version de PhotoFiltre : 6.4
Système d'exploitation : Win XP Pro, SP3

JPEG color management

Message par LXNDR »

hi

first of all i'd like to thank Antonio for a killer program and its basic version being freeware. I'm not a graphic designer, just an average user and PhotoFiltre is my go to application for image processing, powerful enough for my needs and simple to use with no learning curve. Great tool.

i'm using version 6.4 (the free one), i came across the issue of colors getting darker and spilling over to adjacent pixels, kind of getting diffused, after saving to JPEG format, same as what happens in MS Paint, that is particularly noticeable with red color. i always save with 'Best quality' setting, tried different combinations of the save settings, but it didn't affect the quality for the better

i get the fact that it's a compressed format which may not preserve all color information, however i tested saving to JPEG with no additional compression and high quality profile in GIMP and it does preserve the original hue

so in PhotoFiltre is this a shortcoming of coding or was this meant this way? are there any plans to improve the JPEG encoding algorithm for future versions? i didn't try out versions past 6.4, maybe it's has already been addressed

thank you

sorry if this topic was already touched upon previously, i'll be happy to read the explanation that was given
Antonio
Administrateur(trice)|Administrateur|Administratrice
Administrateur(trice)|Administrateur|Administratrice

Re: JPEG color management

Message par Antonio »

i use the delphi native jpeg lib, i can not change this library code. But i think if you want to prserve all color information, the jpeg is not the best, it's better to use PNG :wink:
LXNDR
Version de PhotoFiltre : 6.4
Système d'exploitation : Win XP Pro, SP3

Re: JPEG color management

Message par LXNDR »

ok, i see

sure i know about PNG, it's just that the software i modify the GUI of only recognizes JPEG

anyway, i found a workaround, thanks again for a free app :clap:

cheers
Répondre