Finding shadows around lines, and images

You think you have found a bug ? You've got a suggestion to modify PhotoFiltre ? /
Ĉu vi opinias vi trovis malbonadĵon ? Ĉu vi havas sugeston por modifi PhotoFiltre ?

Modérateur : Modérateurs

trev
Nouveau(elle)|Nouveau|Nouvelle
Version de PhotoFiltre : 9.22
Système d'exploitation : xp
Processeur : xp2600
Mémoire RAM : 1g

Finding shadows around lines, and images

Message par trev »

Hello,

I'm finding shadow effects around my lines and images in studio 10. These pictures did not have them in version 9.22.
These shadows do not show up on the screen, but when printed (I'm using an HP laserjet printer at work). However I have also used this same printer when using 9.22 and this problem did not happen then.

for me to recreate this, I just draw a line or insert an image into a new drawing, save as a .jpg file, leave compression at default (90), then print it out.

I have used the eraser tool to cleanup some of my images, and this is also leaving marks behind, something like the background white color is not white when the printer interprets it, but it does not show up on the monitor.

Image Image

Any ideas?
Tom
Administrateur(trice)|Administrateur|Administratrice

Re: Finding shadows around lines, and images

Message par Tom »

Hi,

Antonio has not a permanent web line for the moment, and is not actualy able to follow all the questions.

He will perhaps answer to the difference between images shown up on the monitor and the printed images,
i have no advice on this point, unless to disable the Antialias setting of the View menu.

But if you want to keep a correct image as a template you don't never must save it as a jpeg file and mostly with 10%
quality lost by a 90% compression level. Prefer always a bmp, tiff or png type of file for a template.
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

I have used the eraser tool to cleanup some of my images, and this is also leaving marks behind
try the eraser tool with the square shape (not round) and with opacity 100% (and with blanck background color) :wink: :?:
trev

Message par trev »

The images were started in version 9.22 and printed fine, but during revisions and editing in version X this shadow effect happened. The parts of the pictures that were created in 9.22 did not have this shadow, but later additions done in version X showed this shadow.

I don't believe it is a problem with the eraser tool or saving in .jpeg format. All I have to do to reproduce this is start a new blank drawing with a white background. Draw a line, save it and print it, and the line will have the shadow around it when printed.

I have been able to reproduce this on my laptop and desktop, so I can't be the only one having this problem.

Trev
trev

Message par trev »

Looking at the revision history;

"-By default the images are opened in 16M"

Is it possible that PF is inserting or showing color gradients in version X that were not being shown in 9.22? This could account for the tool marks remaining on the pictures, but not for just drawing a line and having a shadow around it, unless the lines have a boundry bleed area.

What was the default image opening color in 9.22 (something like 65535?) Is it possible to revert this selection back to what it was in 9.22 to test it?

Trev
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

What was the default image opening color in 9.22
==> no 16M too except for GIF (256 colors)

"-By default the images are opened in 16M"
==> disable this function for test (in the preference menu) but i think that is not the problem...?
Tom

Message par Tom »

I have just done the same test as trev with PFS_X :
trev a écrit :... / ... All I have to do to reproduce this is start a new blank drawing with a white background. Draw a line, save it and print it, and the line will have the shadow around it when printed. ... / ...
1)- When i print before saving : No noise around the lines
2)- When i save at 98% of compression level, close the file and open it again, and print : No noise around the lines
3)- When i save at 90% of compression level, close the file and open it again : No necessary to print it,
because noise is very present around the lines and can be very well seen at 1600 % especially when menu View/Antialias is disabled.

So it is not a printing problem but a saving problem with some compression levels :(

I have tried with PF 6.3.2 and we have the same results. :oops:
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

when savig black and white image, don't use jpeg format, it's better to use PNG, TIFF or GIF in 8 or 2 bits mode :wink:
trev

Message par trev »

I can reproduce the 90% compression problem also, but that did not happen before in 9.22? Puzzling????

Changing the saving compression is the easy fix.

Thanks guys!
Répondre